Thursday, November 09, 2006

What?

So as I have written before I'm taking this class called Terrorism and Counter Terrorism or PoliSci 391. During the first few weeks of this class, it was strictly a lecture class and no one really spoke up. But lately people have had the urge to speak their mind which is totally cool. I like hearing what people think, especially non-christians because I think it can help understand what they need, and how Christ can be presented to them.

We were discussing religion, particularly Islam, and how it has become sort of the "poster" religion for terrorism. One guy then said that not all Muslims are terrorists but that all terrorists are Muslims... That probably wasn't the best thing to say on this particular day or maybe any day, and of course a huge debate then started. It got to the point that one guy actually said this.

"Well I think that we should do away with Religion all together. It's not just Islams or Jews. If you look at the Christians they are killing Jews in Palestine and have done some of the most horrible things in the name of Christianity. If we just did away with religion then people wouldn't be as hateful and have such radical beliefs. The world would be better off without having to deal with religion."

Instantly in my mind two things happened.

1. I got that really defensive feeling, my adrenaline started rushing, and I thought to myself "What the crap?".

2. I was also heart-broken at that the exact same moment. I couldn't believe that some how along the way when it came to Jesus, all he could think about is "wow those people who say they love Jesus are just as bad, if not worse, than any other group".

Too often we steer off of the path of love. A lot of the time we as christians have good intentions, and do some great things but we leave that key ingredient out. Love should be the driving force behind everything we do. We shouldn't be out there just doing good things for the sake of doing good things.

Paul puts it this way to the Corinthians "if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing." (1 Cor 13:2-3).

You see people aren't impressed with what we do if it is for self gain, becuase as Paul says in the long run by doing those great things you gain NOTHING. Eveyone has good morals these days. The difference is and should be that we Love people in everything. When you develop relationships and take time with people, rather than just helping them out in the moment you can see a change and an impact.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love your neighbor as yourself.
That means to love everyone the same amount as you do yourself. That means treat them the way you want to be treated. It also means to do exactly that, but when it is hardest to do, no matter how much Satan tells you that you dont need to love them or treat them nice. Me and others I know must learn not to take things so personally and look past peoples tough outside images and love them for who they are.

Megan said...

wow. you have NO idea how that was the exact thing i needed to read tonight before work. so true, andrew!