Monday, September 24, 2007

Jesus Was Homeless

Indeed he was. He said it in Matthew 8:20 "Foxes have holes and birds have nests, but the son of man has no place to lay his head." So it's not too surprising that Jesus calls the homeless, the sick, the hungry, the broken, the "least of these" his brothers in Matthew 25:40. Maybe I've just been reading too much Shane Claiborne but I am very excited about opportunities to serve the homeless, and figuring out if we can help it/stop it/make it gone forever. A great opportunity coming up November 16-17 is called Homeless for the Homeless. The last official count of homeless people in Columbia alone is 1,753 so that is the number that Homeless for the Homeless is trying to get to sleep out in Finlay Park to raise the awareness, then the next day will be spent serving all over the city and Tony Campolo will be coming to speak about Homelessness and what it's about and how people get in that situation and what Jesus has to say about it.

I am excited!

Really excited!

I've been trying to find ways to serve, I went to a pot luck lunch yesterday called "Food not Bombs" with some cool people. I took about 20 PB&J's to show off my cooking skills and Megan Venters made some delicious mashed potatoes. It reminded me how simple and how much sense it makes to do little random things like that. They are hungry, I have a few extra dollars to make some food and time, so why not go do it? But what really gets me excited is that by continuing to serve I will build relationships with some of the people and hopefully be able to help them beyond that one meal.

Sorry I know a lot of this is repetitive from my last blog, but that's just kind of where I am at this point in time. So if you will be in Columbia November 16-17 go register right now I made a link up there for Homeless for the Homeless and it's only 15$.

No comments: