Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Albums

This will be an attempt for me to try something different. I'm going to blog about music. It could be disastrous because I don't really know what I'm talking about, I mean I love music, but so does everybody in the world so I'm no expert at all. I have come to a realization though that I don't really like singles or "hits" or just one song from a band. I do listen to maybe just one song at times, but I don't think a one hit has ever really been my favorite. My favorite music comes from full length albums. My favorite band of all time is Relient K, and maybe that's typical church kid music, but I really didn't get into "Christian" music until I was in either 8th or 9th grade so most of my life has not been influenced by the christian music scene.

The reason I love Relient K so much is because I can sit through there entire CDs and not get bored of listening to it. I like sensing a theme and getting a feel of what they were going through and then applying it to my life. It's even been awesome through the years to hear the differences from their first CD to their latest. They have this good mix of witty funny stuff, mixed in with serious deep issues. On their new CD for example there is a song that is basically one big pick up line it's called "must have done something right" and here are some of the lyrics:

"We should get jerseys, cause we'd make a good team
but yours would look better than mine, cause you're outta my league"

and it's all happy and peppy, but yet the very last song on the CD is called Deathbed and that song makes me want to cry everytime I hear it cause it's so beautiful. It follows the same chord progression in one part of the song as their intro song, and I don't know it just makes me appreciate their creativity.

Yesterday I busted out some Hillsong and that whold album is all about Jesus and showing him loudly. I learn to like almost every song by bands like that who are just good at what they do and aren't concerned about just making a quick hit for the radio. It really does remind me of the Bible because even though there is so much amazing stuff in the Bible, it all points to Jesus. The bible isn't about one feel good book and then stops there, no it tells the whole story which at times is scary and depressing. But then again there is always hope found in the truth found in the Bible.

This whole thought process was started from lunch last Friday. I was sitting with Christian Tyler and Chad Rochester who are two awesome guys that play with Wade Sunday nights and are in Baumer. I asked them about their new CD that was about to release and they told me it was geared more towards being an Album rather than a compilation of "hit songs" and we just talked about how we prefer stuff like that. I love those guys, they are just real genuine guys and insane musicians.

So I guess to end off this particular blog leave me some feedback, you can be honest and it's totally cool if you disagree with me, because I mean obviously I'm no musician, but would you rather pop in your favorite band's CD or listen to a wide range of good songs from like 20 bands?

No comments: