Thursday, January 11, 2007

Ask, Seek, Knock

As I have posted before, I am doing the "Follow Your Rabbi" challenge which is reading one Gospel a month for the next couple of years in order to truly know Christs teachings and to be able to follow him. This month is Matthew, and so far it has been amazing. I haven't developed a very good system of reading yet, some days it's a few verses, and others it's a few chapters so I am only through chapter 7 so far.

Today there were some verses that really spoke to me Matthew 7:7-8

"7 Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. 8 For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened."

The other night after college group, I went back to Nick and Trevor's house with Nick and Rachel. We somehow started talking about the dumb things that we used to do. Pretty much I talked about how lame I was before I truly gave my life to Christ. There were some really funny stories shared, and also some really scary ones. I realized how far God has brought me from that point.

Those two verses have proven true through my life. I first asked Jesus to come into my life, and to take over because I knew the way I was living wasn't they way it was supposed to be and I knew I couldn't do anything about it on my own. I have definitely received the gift of salvation, and fulfillment through a life of following Jesus. I then began to seek Jesus, I wanted and still want to know as much as possible about this guy who died for me even though I did nothing for him except help to crucify him. I have learned a good bit in the pasat 5 years about him, but I'm still a long ways away and I'm still in that seeking process. I have knocked on the door and God has completely given me the hook up. Sorry if that sounds very cheesy but I don't really have a fancy way of saying it. I mean literally he says that I am like the son of a King who has complete access to everything the king has. I'm not just a robot obeying his will who never gets anything out of my relationship with him. I have been adopted by God as his own son. Jesus has prepared a place for me in heaven, and has given me the Holy Spirit which has done and will continue to do the most amazing things you could ever imagine.


Matthew has been pretty sweet so far and I really would like to challenge you to try and follow your rabbi as well, you won't be disappointed.

No comments: