Thursday, January 18, 2007

on the cusp

Small groups have been an area that I feel are key, probably the most important part of what Ignite does in terms of youth. High schoolers are put into groups with people who really love Jesus and want to pour some Jesus into the students. I am involved in one and recently I have had to completely rethink the way that I have been trying to co-lead our group. I have felt convicted in a very good way by the Holy Spirit and challenged.

I can honestly say I love all the guys in my small group and that I want to pour out the little that I know into their lives, and try to be an example of life to the fullest and even though I'm not much older than them, I want to be someone they can look up to and can trust with their struggles and victories with sin and life. The only problem is last semester the only times I tried to get close to them was once a week on wednesday nights for about an hour. There are 10 guys in the group, and I expect to have deep relationships with all of them in 4 hours a month. I realized that has got to go and that God wants me to be there for them, to call them just see what's going on, and spend time with them outside of our group.

My small group has been incredible so far. God has blessed both me and Wade for leading it, and the students for being a part of it. We have added someone because a friend wanted him to come, and we have had most of our small group accept Christ since we started it last semester. It is definitely cool and I know God is gonna build these guys up. A few days ago Grayson accepted Christ as well, which is a HUGE praise. He is a cool guy who is ridiculous at guitar. For a while he was atheist and then came to the conclusion that there was a God but for a long time did not accept Christ. So much prayer and effort has been put forth on Grayson by the people at Ignite, and God definitely answered. It is awesome and it definitely pumps me up about stepping up my role as a small group leader.

No comments: