Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Self-Paced Astronomy

I just read a pretty good blog by Nick Cunningham entitled Ipods and Self-portraits. I like it, it's basically true... except I don't have or want an Ipod (ok so maybe it would be nice to have one).

But yeah in the midst of my daily blog checking I'm studying for my self-paced astronomy class... and it's a wee bit harder than I thought. I pretty much forgot everything that I learned 2 years ago in astronomy. I'm hoping that I can do well and I guess I should because my roommate is taking that class with me. Accountability is a beautiful thing.

How about this connection to Nick's statement. I learned in our first lab, that astronomy has the highest number of enrolled students at USC. Why is it?

1) People hear that it's easy... a class with no teacher or scheduled meeting times
2) Stars a just a popular subject to study and everyone knows it.
3) People feel that they don't even need a teacher, they can do it all on their own.

I guess I would lean towards the 1st and 3rd combined, which leads to the next fact that I learned: Astronomy is the most failed course at USC. Maybe you can't do it all on your own. No teacher and no one to help you along the way = F.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hi!! you better get that application in! I told them about you yesterday! :)