Monday, December 04, 2006

Steven Furtick

So for my fellow Mount Horebites, (I guess that's what we are) I was checking out Steven Furtick's blog today. If you don't remember him, he was the guest speaker last spring for our Chi Alpha/discipleship now. He was pretty stinkin cool and if you remember some of what he was speaking about then one of the things he was excited about was planting a new Church. He started from scratch with a handful of dedicated people, and this past sunday they had nearly 1000 people there after being around for less than a year. Wow! It's pretty awesome to hear about that and it kinda makes me feel cool because now if someone talks about his church then I can say "oooh I know Steven Furtick". It's lame I know, but I am really excited to know that God is working in huge ways really close to where I am. Elevation (his church) is in Charlotte, and there is also another cool church (Newspring) up in Anderson, SC that had nearly 8000 people in attendance the other weekend. Yeah that's a lot of people that want to go deep with God.

I can feel the hunger that people have for knowing God in an exciting, relevant way, and I want to do something about it. I remember another thing that Steven Furtick said in the spring was that you need to be creative when it comes to reaching people. He told a story of how when he was in college he requested to live in the dorm that all the football players lived in. In order to try and get to know the guys and be a witness to them, he thought it would be a good idea to go grocery shopping and stock up on food for the guys. After the first day of opening his room to them he realized it would be very expensive to feed those guys but he got a group of people that had faith in him and he made it work. It's good to remember it because I want to be able to be creative with the people who I can have some influence over so that they can get to know Jesus. I've been lazy as mess and I need to get something done.

I've been thinking about the future a lot and I really do think I want to be in ministry, but for some reason I have tried to convince myself that ministry is a job that I will eventually have in a church, but I can feel the Holy Spirit telling me to do it right now. So if you come into contact with me and remember then please try and hold me accountable to actually doing something to further the kingdom. Thanks and may Yahweh bless you!

No comments: