Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Good Grandma Stories

For about 3 months I have had the pleasure of living with many family members, 4 to be exact and a 5th that is about to be born very soon. My grandma has been staying with us because my grandpa passed away in December and it's just a better situation for her to be here with a lot of people than alone in her hot house in Panama. She is 83 and looks very very old and she kinda walks with a bit of gimp, but she is sharp and a very funny lady. She loves to tell jokes, make fun of people, and mess with people.

She fooled me the other morning with her sweet little old grandma innocence. I was eating breakfast alongside her and my cousin and from under the table I felt a foot kinda brush my leg. So I looked over and she was just eating and concentrating on her food so I thought it was just an accident and moved my leg so that she wouldn't hit it again. Not long after I felt the foot brush me again, so I tried to position my leg just right so that she couldn't touch it, because still it just looked like she might not even have a clue that she kept bumping my foot. Well the third time she couldn't contain herself and looked at me and just started laughing. It may not be funny to you but I thought it was hilarious because I just don't think of grandma's being like that.

She is a really awesome lady and I have learned tons from her, and I thank God that she has been able to be in my life and that we can communicate and have a good time despite the 64 year gap.

God has inspired me to try and find truth in pretty much everything since I've been reading Rob Bell. For example today my grandma was telling me a story about when my grandad got robbed once in Panama. He was coming home from work one day and was bringing home a lot of money that he had been saving up so that he could pay tuition for my mom's college so that she could take classes and all that. He traveled down a dangerous road so that he could get home a little faster but apparently it was a mistake because a man with a knife took all of the money he had on him. My grandma said that he was normally a really happy guy, and that he was usually working later, but had gotten off early to get all the money, so as he was walking home this particular day he just looked really shook up and sad and his neighbors asked what was wrong. So he told them that he had been robbed but that the bigger issue was that now he didn't have money to pay for my mom to go to school and the money was due the next day. Now understand that in Panama, minimum wage is just a little over a dollar an hour. So everyone in my grandad's neighborhood were pretty poor people. For whatever reason they were compelled to give him the money. I don't know if the deal was for my grandad to pay them back or what because my grandma ended the story with the neighbors pooling money together and offering it to him.

It struck me in that moment that this is what compassion and the church should look like. The neighbors saw a need and took care of it for him. Now I have no idea if these neighbors were Christians or what but I was just in awe of God showing me this truth. It was just one of those cool moments where my grandma probably thought I was weird because I had this huge smile on my face because of what I was thinking, and she was probably thinking that I had no feelings because I was smiling after she told me they got robbed. All I know is that I'm very very stoked about what God's doing all around.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love they way you write it gets very close to the readers heart <3 thnx and keep up the good work