Sunday, May 20, 2007

Post Olshine Thoughts

David Olshine rocks my world from time to time. I have heard him speak several times at the Horeb, and he is just one of those guys who sucks me in and has my full attention and I can always learn something from what God says through him.

Today there was a brief Greek lesson when he said that we need to add knowledge to our lives. The Greek I believe he said was gonosco (i'm not sure on the Greek spelling i'm no expert in any way, shape, or form) but it sounds quite similar to one of the spanish words for knowledge or knowing... conocer.

Now this really spoke to me because in that one second that he said the Greed it immediately turned on a light in my spanish speaking side. The other word for knowing or to know in spanish is saber. Saber you would use if know how to count to 10 or if you know where Groucho's is. Conocer is mostly used when referring to people, like "yo conozco a Austin Crane" and it adds an element of the intimacy that Olshine talked about today.

You see we can know stuff about God and sound all smart and not ever really be committed to getting involved with God, or we can jump in and actually get to know him and have a relational God. I would say it's definitely cool to know you're stuff about God, but the experience is where we get that true wisdom that only God can offer, and it's what inspires life change. I would rather see someone loving a homeless person or sick person than talking about how much God loves the homeless and the sick while they do nothing.

So a thank you to David Olshine for some very thought provoking vocabulary from the Greeks. I'm off to Monterrey to celebrate 31 years of Wade Joye.

1 comment:

Megan said...

that was the most memorable part of his sermon for me too..."gnosco" is how i think you spell it, like in "agnosticim" as in being unable (a) to know (gnosto). adding a knowledge of Christ that literally means "to intimately know" totally puts a new spin on that verse for me now! i think it was 2 peter 1.